Property Rental Screening Criteria and Policies
Blue Key Property Management Inc complies with all federal, state and local laws concerning fair housing. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, disability or source of income.
An application must be completed by all residents 18 years of age or older. The application fee is $45.00 per adult (Over 18). Applications will not be processed without the application fee and application must be completely filled out.
In the case that multiple applicants apply for the same rental property and an application is approved, we will return all subsequent applications and unprocessed screening fees. All processed screening fees are non-refundable.
- 2 forms of identification will be required, one of which must be a valid photo identification.
- Applicants must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
- Each applicant will be required to qualify individually.
- A complete and accurate application with phone numbers and email addresses. Applications that are incomplete will be returned.
- Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
- Any applicant currently using illegal drugs or reporting a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance will be denied.
- Any individual who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the complex, or the property of others will be denied.
- Gross monthly income must equal three (3) times the stated monthly rent. If income does not equal three (3) times the stated monthly rent, a qualified co-signer will be required.
- Applicants qualified by a local Housing Authority for the Section 8 Voucher Program are partially exempt from the income requirements. Applicants will still be required to show a gross monthly household income sufficient to pay any portion of the rent not being paid by the Housing Authority.
- A current paycheck stub from your employer will be required.
- Verifiable income will be required for unemployed applicants. (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to; bank accounts, alimony/child support, trust accounts, social security, unemployment, social security, welfare, grants or loans.)
- Self-employed applicants or employees that receive more than 25% of their income from commissions, will be required to show proof of income through copies of the previous years tax returns.
- If income does not equal three (3) times the stated monthly rent, then the following may be requested: A security deposit equal to one and one-half (1.5) times the rent and/or a co-signer.
- If your source of income cannot be verified, you will be denied.
- One (1) year of verifiable employment will be required.
- Self-employed applicants: A recorded business name or Corporate filing will be sufficient to meet employment requirements. Self-employment will be verified through the state.
- If employment does not meet the requirements, a security deposit equal to one and one-half (1.5) times the rent or a co-signer may be requested.
- You will be denied if you are unemployed and alternative source(s) of income cannot be verified.
- You must have a minimum of two (2) years of verifiable rental history from a third party landlord, for a single family home rental. One (1) year verifiable rental history is required for apartments and plexes. The verifiable rental history must be current within the last year, or you must be able to show verifiable homeownership within the last year.
- Your credit report must contain no derogatory rental information and you must not have a judgment or collection account from a former landlord within the preceding five (5) years whether paid or unpaid. Any eviction on screening report is grounds for immediate denial.
- You must not have had more than two (2) late rent payments in the last year and no rent payment may have been more than 15 days late.
- You must have met all of the terms of your prior lease and any past due rent or outstanding balance will result in a denial. A security deposit equal to one and one-half (1 ½) times the rent may be accepted when past due rent is paid and no additional negative information has been recorded.
- You must have an active checking account.
- Multiple applicants must either have a shared banking account for purposes of depositing monthly income and paying monthly living expenses for all applicants, or be named together on a loan. Otherwise, all applicants must each have income equal to a minimum of three (3) times the monthly rent.
- Bankruptcies discharged within one (1) year from the date of application will be denied. You must have maintained or established two (2) lines of credit since the bankruptcy. Outstanding bad debt exceeding $150.00 on a credit bureau (i.e., collections, slow pay, repossessions, liens, judgments and wage garnishment programs) will require a security deposit equal to one and one-half (1 ½) times the rent.
- Ten (10) or more unpaid collections (not medically related) reported from the credit bureau will result in denial. Utility collections and phone bill collections will result in denial.
- FICO scores under 600 may require a co-signer or extra deposit, if accepted. FICO scores under 575 will be denied.
- Home ownership is preferred, but will consider a co-signer with long-standing positive rental history.
- Very good established credit will be required.
- Must have gross income of at least five (5) times the rental amount and must provide prove of income. (I.e. paystubs, bank statements, tax returns etc.)
Criminal History Policy
Upon receipt of the rental applications and screening fee, landlord will conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or pled guilty to or no contest to, any crime.
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, ever for: any felony involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes and/or child sex crimes, extensive property damage or drug related offenses (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession with intent to sell) class A / felony burglary or class A / felony robbery; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last 7 years for: any other felony charges; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last 7 years for: any misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, sex related, drug related (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession) property damage or weapons charges; or
- A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last 3 years for: any class B or C misdemeanor in the above categories or any misdemeanors involving criminal trespass I, theft, dishonesty, prostitution shall be grounds for denial of the rent application. Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in a suspension of the application process until the charges are resolved. Upon resolution, if an appropriate unit is still available, the processing of the application will be completed. No unit will be held awaiting resolution of pending charges.
If your application is denied due to negative or adverse information being reported, you may:
- Contact Pacific Screening at 503-297-1941 to discuss your application.
Contact the credit reporting agency to:
- Identify who is reporting unfavorable information.
- Request a correction if the information being reported is incorrect.
- If your application has been denied and you feel that you qualify as a resident under the criteria set out above, you should do the following:
Write to our:
Equal Housing Opportunity Manager
Blue Key Property Management Inc
7017 NE Highway 99, Ste 216
Vancouver, WA 98665
Explain the reasons you believe your application should be re-evaluated and request a review of your file. Your application will be reviewed within seven (7) working days from the date your letter was received and you will be notified of the outcome.
- Occupancy is based on the number bedrooms in a unit. Two (2) persons are allowed per bedroom. A bedroom is defined as a space that has at least one (1) window and a closet for clothing.
- Not all of our properties allow pets. If the property you are applying for allows pets, the pet Deposit will be $500.00 per pet or $250 per pet with a $25.00 per month per pet rent, unless otherwise stated. When allowed, there is a 2 pet limit.
- Certain breeds of dogs are not accepted. (Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepards etc.)
- Smoking is not allowed in any of our units. Smoking in the units is prohibited by anyone including friends, family, neighbors and is grounds for eviction.
Blue Key Property Management Inc follows all state and federal laws. Persons with disabilities will be able to modify premises at their sole expense, if disabled person agrees to restore the premises to its pre-modified condition at their sole expense.
- Written approval is required from the landlord before any modifications are made.
- Assurances must be made in writing that all work will be performed in a professional manner.
- Building permits ad required licensing must be made available to landlord for inspection.
- Names of contractors that will be used and their qualifications.